Texas Room, circa 1930.
Section of 1869 Wood Map of Houston.
The Texas Room is the primary reading room for viewing HMRC materials. In addition to providing a space for customers to view and study HMRC materials, the Texas Room houses a number of significant research resources.
- Collection of approximately 14,000 books of Texana and regional history
- A collection of local and regional yearbooks from junior high schools, high schools, colleges, and universities
- Maps of Houston from 1837 to the present such as the 1837 Borden survey and the 1904 P. Whitty street guide
- Early maps of the Heights and Harrisburg
- Topographic maps of many Texas cities
- Aerial photos of Houston from 1935 to 1990
- Sanborn fire insurance maps and Bracey's block maps
- Early maps of Texas and the Southwest
- Houston city directories from the 19th century to present
- City directories from many other Texas cities
Newspapers and Vertical Files
- Extensive collection of 19th century Houston and Galveston newspapers
- Microfilmed copies of the Houston Defender, the Houston Informer, and the Houston Forward Times
- Microfilmed copies of the Jewish Herald-Voice and the San Antonio Jewish Weekly
- Thousands of files of clippings offering otherwise unavailable ease of access to local newspaper coverage of Houston history. To see a list of available files, click here.