Derrick. Humble, Texas. Frank J. Schlueter/Bank of the Southwest Collection MSS 0100-0470.
Planning Your Visit to HMRC
In order to make the most of our resources, it is good to be aware of a few practical things about HMRC. Many of the materials housed at HMRC are unique, rare, or historically significant. To better preserve these collections, HMRC follows a number of practices common to special collections libraries and archives.
Before visiting, consider contacting HMRC. Some of our materials, such as architectural drawings and photographs, require an appointment with HMRC staff to meet your needs due to the large size, location, or fragile nature.
The HMRC can be reached at 832-393-1662 and is located at 500 McKinney St, Houston, Texas 77002. Parking is available beneath the adjacent Central Library for $2 per hour. The entrance to the garage is on Lamar Street.
HMRC is open for research:
Tuesdays | 10 AM - 6 PM
Wednesdays | 10 AM - 6 PM
Thursdays | 12 PM - 8 PM
Fridays | 10 AM - 5 PM
Saturday | 10 AM - 5 PM
HMRC is closed on Fridays and Sundays.
Texas Room and Collection Use Rules:
- Pencils, note taking materials, cell phones, and personal computers are allowed in the Texas Room. All other personal property shall be stored in secure lockers which are provided free of charge. HMRC is not responsible for the security of personal belongings.
- HMRC is an ink-free facility. Pencils are available at the Reference Desk.
- No materials in the custody of HMRC may be removed from the Texas Room. Personal property and research notes may be inspected before leaving.
- A government issued ID is required to view our archival collections.
- Please do not re-shelve or return any materials.
- Food, beverages, and other consumables, such as gum, tobacco, and cough drops, are not allowed in the Texas Room.
- Personal communication devices should be set to vibrate or turned off. Please take all calls outside of the Texas Room.
- Use of cameras and some personal scanning devices may be allowed with staff approval. Additional light or physical contact is damaging to the materials and is not allowed.
- The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright, literary property rights, privacy, and libel.
- HMRC materials may be photocopied if the physical condition and intellectual property restrictions of the item(s) permit.
- Digital photographs of unrestricted HMRC materials may be made without the use of a flash.
- Images from microfilm can either be saved to a flash drive or printed on the photocopier for $0.15 each.
- A self-service photocopier is available. All copies are $0.15 each. At this time, no credit cards are accepted.
Consider bringing a sweater as the Texas Room is kept cold for the preservation of materials. Also, consider bringing a personal camera and/or USB flash drive. Many materials can be photographed without flash and copies from the microfilms can be saved for free to a flash drive.
For further questions, please contact us at (832) 393-1662 or via email.