Lincoln Theatre. J. Milton Lawless Collection MSS 0334-1378.
The Photographic Archives contains approximately four million photographic images. The photos offer glimpses of day-to-day life in Houston and Texas from the 1860s to the 1980s, and cover subjects such as farming, industry, oil exploration, transportation, festivals, parades, natural disasters, and cultural, civic and sporting events, including:
- Work by commercial photographers like William Fritz, George Beach, Frank Schlueter, Bert Brandt, and Joseph Litterst
- Street, park and bayou scenes in Houston, as well as aerial views and skylines
- Architecture: residences, businesses, hotels, churches, theaters and schools
- Famous Houstonians like Jesse H. Jones, Howard Hughes, Colonel House, Alfred C. Finn, Mr. and Mrs. Hobby and Rev. Jack Yates
- Early twentieth century postcards and cartes de visite portraying Houstonians from the 1860's and early 1870's on photographic visiting cards
- Local news photographs
A catalog of many of HMRC's photos can be searched via the Photographic Archives Database.
For further assistance with HMRC’s photographic collections, please contact the
HMRC Photo Department.
To make an appointment to view these images, please contact the HMRC.